The world’s counting on you! You’ve already proven yourself by stepping up and choosing to lead a nonprofit organization. You’ve got a clear vision and you’re making the world a better place. But sometimes being the quiet do-gooder isn’t enough. It’s not enough for you and it’s not enough for your organization. Time for greatness!
I’ve seen organizations soar (taking their leaders with them) and have seen many more limp along. I’ve learned a lot by observing and I want to share it with you – so you can be among the champions!
Let’s start our countdown:
10. Stardom comes from bold action. Nonprofits tend to play it safe. They do what is proven, what everyone else does, what they’ve done since 1942. Time for a new approach!
9. Dream – be the visionary leader. Before you can get others to care enough to promote you and your organization to stardom, you need a dream they can share. This is your vision – it’s a reach, it excites you and it’s easy for others to understand and care about.
8. Maximize who you have. At the very least you have a Board of Trustees. Mobilize them. They joined for a reason, get them turned on again and working with you. Enlist volunteers and staff to use their talents to the fullest, some people are just waiting to be asked!
7. Open the door. The biggest obstacle to nonprofit growth (and donations) is not expanding your Network. You decide how people will enter – invite them to an introductory Story Hour or schedule a private meeting. Just be sure that it is easy for everyone to learn about you and to get involved.
6. Make room for fame. Clear out tasks that are time consuming, can be done by someone else (how about one of those new contacts!) or unnecessary. You want to open up space so you can take big, bolder steps.
5. Get out more. It’s easy to sit at your desk and think about what should happen. You need to connect with new people everyday. There are countless people who will become part of your team if you give them the opportunity.
4. Stay open and responsive. As you connect to more and more people, opportunities will come your way. Listen carefully. Be ready!
3. Be online. Build an online presence. There are many tools and choices – email, blogs, postings, tweets – choose one that works best for you and get started.
2. Act like a star. Get comfortable with speaking and writing so you can share your dream whenever opportunity presents itself. Dress the part.
1. Take big steps. The world is waiting. Grab the attention of busy, smart, successful people. Seek out big ideas. Don’t reject anything that is legal and gets you closer to your Vision!
You’re all set – go for it! And share your success stories with us so we can help more Nonprofit Champions.
Dowload your FREE 10 Steps to Nonprofit Champion Poster.
Merle Benny is known as the Mentor of smart, bold Nonprofit Leaders, ready to change the world. She is the founder and president of Nonprofit Champion, a company committed to the growth and empowerment of nonprofit executive directors and board leaders around the globe by sharing high-level thoughtful marketing and growth strategies – while supporting their work and values to create sustainable success.
After 20 years in a successful corporate career developing technology companies, Merle followed her passion and turned her talents to the nonprofits she loved. Joining years of nonprofit board leadership with marketing expertise, business savvy with a philanthropic heart, Merle empowers highly successful nonprofit leaders.